Saturday, February 23, 2008

Glen - The "Holy Man"

Kick starting a dirt bike -- riding boots vs. flip-flops...
BLOOD

Here are the gory details:

Glen was at the neighbors house down the street, not far from home. He usually only rides his dirt bike with riding boots and gear -but- he had his shorts and flip flops on since he was only going down the street. When leaving the neighbor's house, he started up his dirt bike, his foot slipped off the peg and embedded the entire three inches of the kick start peg into his calf. He pulled his leg off the peg and it started squirting blood. Glen rode home dizzy and white leaving a trail of blood behind him. I called our neighbor (a good boy scout) to help me stop the bleeding and get a very weak and woozy Glen into the back of the Yukon for medical attention. Glen probably bled a good pint or more of blood right there on the lawn before we could get the bleeding under control. As soon as the doctor at the urgent care removed his temporary bandage, a steady stream of blood started to squirt out like a fountain! (Glen turned ghost white and had to lay down on the floor) They were able to get the bleeding under control with an injection that constricted the artery, and then patched him back together with six stitches across the hole. We are told that the muscles and other damaged tissues will heal themselves underneath the skin. He's now on antibiotics to help avoid the likely infections that come from puncture wounds.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is Disgusting!!!!!
We hope you feel better Glen!

Rachel And Thomas said...

Yikes! Double Yikes from us. We hope you get feeling better! That's gotta be rough.

The Mathews Family said...

Oh, that looks so painful! I sooooo wish I could have been there for that. Jessica's really really glad she didn't have to view the carnage firsthand. We're glad it wasn't something more serious like, oh, an errant bit of spring from the seat sticking up and causing some REAL damage. Two words for ya: Yikes, Yikes!!
-Nate
Get well soon Glen.

The Mathews Family said...

I'm just sitting here wondering if you guys can work something out with Urgent Care after all the visits you've had recently. Maybe a punch card or something like your tenth visit is free?!

Glen that looks painful but once it's all healed you're going to have a nice scar to show off with some major bragging rights! Feel better soon!
-Jessica

Gina said...

Oh man, that is so gross! I hope you are feeling better by now. I think you are the only people I know that grab a camera on the way to urgent care to treat a life threatening wound. (Take that as a compliment)

barbafamily said...

Oh my gosh! What yucky pictures! That is terrible! Poor thing! I'm so glad to have your blog address now!!!!

Angela :-)

Favorite Tunes